Tuesday, November 18, 2008

November 16th and 17th Update

Sunday, Carla and I went up to the hospital and we gave mom a cute, sporty little haircut. She looks great with short hair! I've been trying to tell her that she would for years! Unfortunately by Monday she started having some sort of reaction and her scalp felt like it was on fire. The doctor recommended that we shave the rest of it off. I guess on rare occasion the chemo can cause the scalp to react that way and the best thing to do is to take the rest of the hair off and treat with a zinc cream.
It was really difficult shaving her head. Everyone knows how my mom is with her hair. She was actually quite relieved to have it gone so that made me feel a little bit better about it. Once the hair was gone we could get a better look at her scalp and we right away seen why it was hurting her so badly. She had red streaks going all through her head. Were not sure what it was from. I guess just the reaction. She told me today on the phone that her head feels so much better now.
We had a nice visit last night. I miss talking with her so much so it was really nice to sit and chat for a little while.
The chemo is kicking her butt as far as nausea is concerned. Smells really get to her bad. The family room is right across the hall and for the past couple of nights someone has been cooking popcorn in there...not good.
I wonder if I can put a NO POPCORN sign on the microwave for awhile lol.
Anyway, thats all I have for now. Hopefully I can report soon that she is well enough for her second round of Chemo.
Until next time....
Jeannie

No comments: